Europe’s Joint Research Centre (JRC) has published a new report on ‘Critical Raw Materials and the Circular Economy’ in December 2017.

The report also builds on findings from a 2015 study by BIO by Deloitte, where a Raw Material System Analysis (MSA) Framework had been introduced that “investigates the flows and stocks of 28 raw materials from ‘cradle-to-grave’, that is, across the entire material life cycle from resource extraction to materials processing to manufacturing and fabrication to use and then to collection, processing, and disposal/recycling”. I had posted about this here.

Like in the 2015 study the authors present MSAs for a number of critical materials (CRMs) within the EU-28 boundaries and are depicting them as Sankey diagrams. The authors then expand into how scarcity and price may impact certain industrial sectors or products (Automative, Electronics, Batteries, etc.). Best practices are suggested for recovering critical materials.

Here is the MSA Sankey diagram for Germanium (from page 41 of the report):


All flows are in kilograms per the reference year 2012. We can see that roughly 80.000 kg of Germanium entered the EU in the year 2012, and 15.800 kg were made available on the secondary material market within the EU.

For the individual industrial sectors, another type of figure is presented. This breakdown of how much of the CRMs is used in a specific sector gives a better understanding of the dependency on certain CRMs.

This Sankey diagram (from page 39 of the report) for the Electrical and Electronical Equipment sector shows, for example, that 87% of the Germanium (ge) entering the EU are used in the EEE sector, making it the largest consuming sector of Germanium. The remaining 13% are used in other sectors:

Crossing the information from the MSA Sankey diagams that show availability of a CRM, and the information from the Sankey diagram showing demands per sector gives a good understanding on why some materials are considered critical for industries, and measures for recovering more of them from tailings or waste are meaningful.

Source: Mathieux, F., Ardente, F., Bobba, S., Nuss, P., Blengini, G., Alves Dias, P., Blagoeva, D., Torres De Matos, C., Wittmer, D., Pavel, C., Hamor, T., Saveyn, H., Gawlik, B., Orveillon, G., Huygens, D., Garbarino, E., Tzimas, E., Bouraoui, F. and Solar, S., Critical Raw Materials and the Circular Economy – Background report. JRC Science-for-policy report, EUR 28832 EN, Publications Office of the European Union, Luxembourg, 2017, ISBN 978-92-79-74282-8 doi:10.2760/378123 JRC108710.

Access JRC report here (PDF).

No Responses to “Europe JRC Critical Materials Report”

  1. womens nike shox deliver gold red Says:

    nike free trainer 5.0 black and gray,nike kd 8 elite negro mettodasic oro sail,womens nike air max 2016 pink yellow,nike air max 95 all black wolf grey,nike shox vaeda white,air jordan retro 6 low black,air jordan 1 top 3 gs,air jordan retro 7 womens white pink
    womens nike shox deliver gold red http://www.mfofoundation.net/womens-nike-shox-deliver-gold-red-shoesv

  2. the north face haldee vest patches Says:

    moncler mens coats nc incmoncler coats bergdorf goodman jewelrycheap moncler quilted jacket sale london23 deangelo hall jersey uk
    the north face haldee vest patches http://www.printedwindows.com/northfacediscount_en/the-north-face-haldee-vest-patches

  3. nike darwin purple gold Says:

    yves saint laurent tribute patent leather sandalsmichael kors hamilton satchel luggage gloden villagemichael kors wallets at tj maxxmk backpack blue table
    nike darwin purple gold http://www.avantgold.net/goodshoes/nike-darwin-purple-gold

  4. air jordan 12 womens grey purple Says:

    jimmy choo patent leather and cork wedge sandalswholesale jimmy choo black flat sandalsmanolo blahnik hangisi crystal-buckle satin flat turquoise nordstrommichael kors leigh shoulder yoga
    air jordan 12 womens grey purple http://www.neverletitbesaid.com/zapatosoutlet_en/air-jordan-12-womens-grey-purple

Leave a Reply